Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Black Bean Burgers

Are you looking to eat healthier food, need variety, save money, or consume less beef, then you have to try this awesome recipe my husband actually found in my ALL YOU magazine. We've made them twice now and I even made 6 extra ones tonight and I am freezing them for future meals. They are delicious!!! Full of good protein, easy to make, and great on the budget (about $0.67/serving according to the recipe). Here it is, let me know what you think.

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 large egg lightly beaten
1 Tbsp. cumin (this makes them taste soooo good-I found it at the farmers market in town)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I always used seasoned)
salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375 and lightly grease a large rimmed baking sheet
2. Warm oil in skillet. Add celery and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
3. Pour beans into a large bowl and mash with fork or potato masher into a thick paste. Scrape vegetables from skillet into bowl. Stir in egg, cumin, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties. Place on baking sheet and bake until firm and set, about 10 minutes on each side.

Serve just like you would a hamburger with all the fixings. This evening we tried them with salsa. Cheese tastes great on them too! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe....I'll have to try it. Costco used to sell these black bean veggie burgers and they were awesome. But they haven't sold them for awhile so it's been ages since I've had one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to eat Boca burgers, but they are expensive. These are soo much better!

    ReplyDelete