Thursday, May 27, 2010
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
- Though I wasn't planning to use it, the 9-inch deep dish pie shell worked great as there were a lot of strawberries and strawberry mixture. I think it would overflow more easily in a regular pie shell.
- I did use whole strawberries as shown in the picture, but I think I may slice them at least in half next time to making it a little easier for the kids to eat.
- Make sure you chill it for at least 3-4 hours. I was so excited to eat it, that after about 2 hours, I cut into it and it wasn't solidified enough. Oooppps!
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
If you are concerned about pesticides, I recommend you buy some organic and/or from your local farms. And be sure to thoroughly wash all your fruits and veggies (even the ones that say pre-washed and the frozen ones). Here's a list of fruits and veggies and whether you should get organic or not.
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Monday, May 17, 2010
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
So, a few weeks ago, my husband came home with these little cute things (thanks to his co-worker). (I guess these Kefir grains are hard to come by--but it seems like there are people out there who just pass them along--keep reading and maybe you can get some too!)
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Yield: 24 bars
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup sugar (I've used Splenda too)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small apple; peeled and chopped
- ½ cup dried goji berries or raisins (I use Crainsins)
- ½ cup chopped, dried dates or apricots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or almonds (optional)
- 1½ cups coconut
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup applesauce
- Stir together dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, and spices).
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars.
- Add in honey, eggs, and vanilla.
- Slowly add in dry mixture and beat together.
- Stir in oats, applesauce, coconut, fruit, and nuts.
- Drop spoonfuls onto baking sheet.
- Bake 12-14 minutes at 350°F.
Calories From Fat: