Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

More Tomatoes--Homemade Salsa!

The tomatoes just keep coming and coming.  I bring in 20-30 everyday!  Its quite overwhelming.  My mom just told me last night that her neighbor actually freezes whole tomatoes to use them in the winter to make sauces.  Apparently after they defrost the skins peel right off.  Anyone try that before?  I think I may try it because I really don't have time to make homemade sauce every week.  But homemade salsa, that's a different story.  Its much easier and for hot summer days, chips and salsa is a refreshing snack.  Over the past few months we have been enjoying a delicious and all-natural Garden Salsa from Costco, but its not exactly that cheap.  I can now make my own and its quite delicious too!  Its a friends recipe.  Here's what you need (what I used):

15-20 diced Roma tomatoes (or a combination of different kinds)
1/2 bag of frozen corn (about 8-10 ounces)
1 small jalapeno pepper, diced (more or less depending on how much spice like)
4 gloves of garlic, minced 
1/4-1/3 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 12 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1/4 fresh lime juice (or lemon)
1/2 large onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all of the above and enjoy!  You can change the amounts above according to the taste you like.  I actually put most of the stuff (except the corn) into my awesome food processor (picture on the right from Amazon) and it made it so quick and easy.  It yielded about 8 cups for me.  I put it in Mason jars and its kept for over a week now in the refrigerator.  

No comments:

Post a Comment