Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Delicious Black Beans and Rice Recipe

I'm always trying to find new ways to eat even healthier and be more frugal with my cooking.  A dear friend was visiting a few weeks ago and she shared with me her experience with going gluten-free because of some food allergies she has discovered.  She shared with me that her and her husband were making some "beans and rice" meals and were realizing how much they could save eating more like that.  My husband and I love black beans, so I was on a mission to come up with something.  I knew cumin worked well with black beans from my black bean burger recipe.  I've been buying red peppers from Costco lately and thought those would go nicely too.  A little onion, garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper too.  I'm excited to say I actually made up my own recipe and I paid attention tonight so I could share it with all of you!  It is delicious, very filling, nutritious, gluten-free, and so cheap to make.  It could be a main dish or used as a side.  My youngest son loved the mashed black beans and rice with the peppers too!  If you try it, please tell me what you think!

Black Beans and Rice

1 cup uncooked brown rice (following package directions for preparing) (not the 10 minute, instant stuff)
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 of a medium onion, finely chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. cumin (more or less depending on how much flavor you want-I actually used a tiny bit less than two full tablespoons)
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. olive oil

Prepare brown rice according to package directions.  Spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat up 1 Tbsp. olive oil on medium heat.  Once oil is hot, add onion, garlic, and peppers.  Saute until tender.  Remove from heat and wait until rice is all done.  Mix the veggies in with the rice and add the drained black beans. Stir in cumin, salt, pepper, and an additional 1 Tbsp. of olive oil.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment