Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

DIY: Family Handprints Wall Hanging


I am super excited to share this "Do It Yourself" project that I just finished last night. Well, almost finished. Now, they just need to be hung on the wall. I take no credit for this idea though. Back in November, I was at a friend's house (she did it herself too) and that is where I got the idea. And she found the idea from here. So, what is it? You take blank, framed canvases, paint them a solid color-use acrylic paint, and then do a handprint of each of your family members on each one. My boys were so excited to help me with this project. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been painting the 5 canvases with 2-4 coats of paint, depending on the color. I picked bold, bright colors, since I will be hanging them in our classroom. Last night, we had a great family evening together, painting out hands and then doing our handprints. And if we messed up, baby wipes worked great to repair them. I must say, I think they turned out awesome. What do you think? So you're probably wondering the cost...well, here it is...$2.79 for each 8 x 10" canvas (about $14.00 total) and about $0.75 per small (not the smallest) bottle of paint and I have a lot left over. So under $20 for a beautiful wall display and great family memory! It would have been $39.99 for the kit from the site I referenced above and that's only for four. I am so thrilled about it! Hopefully we will get them hung up soon for all to see. Even our cute little 6 month old got to participate.











I am a newbie, but I am participating in DIY Tuesday here:

DIY Day @ ASPTL


3 comments:

  1. I know you did this over a year ago, but I just love the idea and I'm wanting to do it. Where did you find canvases for such a cheap price? I'm just not sure where to go! Thank you, my e-mail is michellechurch@me.com

    ReplyDelete